Welcome to the June 2021 edition of Power Rankings! Can you believe that we’re officially in the second half of 2021 and that Christmas is closer to us than New Year’s 2021? Madness!
June 2021 was a hive of activity in the LEGO world, with all the new Summer 2021 releases being set upon our poor wallets which are still recovering from the first half of 2021. Unless you’re in North America where you have to wait till August 2021 for all the new goodies.
To help you catch up on all the new and LEGO headlines, here’s a handy recap of all the news, reviews from this blog, and the broader LEGO Fan Media Community.
June 2021 LEGO Power Rankings
With a ton of new releases, and some really sensational sets the June 2021 Power Rankings has been given a bit of a shakeup, and sees a ton of movement. Without further ado, here are my Top 10 LEGO sets as of June 2021!
Top 10 LEGO sets as of June 2021
- 21326 Winnie the Pooh [Review] [Rating: 5/5 ★★★★★]
- 10281 Bonsai Tree
- 80107 Spring Lantern Festival [Review] [Rating: 5/5 ★★★★★]
- 40516 Everyone is Awesome [Review] [Rating: 5/5 ★★★★★] *NEW*
- 21327 Typewriter *NEW*
- 21325 Medieval Blacksmith ⬇️
- 76178 Daily Bugle ⬇️
- 10283 NASA Space Shuttle Discovery ⬇️
- 71741 Ninjago City Gardens
- 31120 Medieval Castle [Review] [Rating: 4/5 ★★★★★] *NEW*
It was a no-brainer to acknowledge the extra-ordinary impact of Everyone is Awesome, which is perhaps the most talked about LEGO set in and outside the LEGO fan community, and the sublime combination of form and function of the Typewriter earned it a spot in the Top 5.
Rounding up the new debuts is the Creator 3-in-1 Medieval Castle at number 10, which I had a lot of fun with.
Leaving the Top 10 is 10280 Flower Bouquet, 10278 Modular Police Station and 75308 R2-D2 – a fond farewell to these otherwise excellent sets, but the shiny-ness and uniqueness of the June releases pipped them off the charts. Who knows – they might make a return!
What are Power Rankings?
Essentially, they’re commonly used in sports leagues like the NBA to track and compare the best/worst performing teams, often changing weekly based on results and how teams play.
I often get asked via email or on social media what the best sets of the (insert current) year/month are, and I usually rattle off what I personally like, so to start 2021, I’ve decided to start a regular series where I track and rank what the best 10 LEGO sets are at the end of each month.
This isn’t meant to be scientific or data-driven (some of these I haven’t personally built/own yet) – just my personal opinion of what I think are the best LEGO sets of 2021!
Of course, for a more comprehensive evaluation of LEGO sets, you can read my LEGO reviews for more detailed opinions. For sets that I’ve reviewed, I’ll also include the scores next to the power rankings, but it’s quite unlikely that I’ll get to review every amazing set of 2021 – I sometimes build and miss out reviewing due to time/scheduling issues.
New LEGO Podcast Episodes
Richard and I wrapped up season 1 of the Extra Pieces podcast, with a very special guest – Steve Guinness the fan designer behind the wildly successful LEGO Ideas Typewriter set!
Listen in on our conversation with Steve about what motivates him, and the inspiration behind the Ideas Typewriter.
Stay tuned as Season 2 will be launching very very soon!
To listen to the Extra Pieces podcast, you can find us wherever you get your podcasts from:
For everyone that has subscribed and been listening, thank you so much! If I could ask you for a huge favour – if you’ve been enjoying the podcasts, do consider leaving us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts! That would be super helpful to help improve our discoverability!
Notable LEGO headlines – June 2021
I also launched a new content series, Monday Musings where I pick a different topic that’s relevant to my personal experience with LEGO and open up a discussion on it.
- Monday Musings #1: Having to limit the LEGO themes you collect
- Monday Musings #2: Is LEGO a good investment?
- Guide to all the new Summer 2021 LEGO releases on 1 June!
- LEGO Star Wars 75296 Darth Vader Meditation Chamber helps you practice Dark Side mindfulness
- Introducing LEGO CON, a livestream event packed with live builds, product reveals and more!
- 2021 LEGO Harry Potter Advent Calendar revealed! (spoilers beware!)
- First Look: New 2021 LEGO Jurassic World Camp Cretaceous sets
- LEGO Marvel What If…? set revealed! 76194 Tony Stark’s Sakaarian Iron Man
- LEGO 2HY 2021 Catalogue reveals Marvel and The Mandalorian Advent Calendars, new Technic and more!
- LEGO Comic Books coming in 2022 via partnership with Skybound Entertainment (The Walking Dead & Invincible)
- Closer look at LEGO 75316 Mandalorian Starfighter and 75310 Duel on Mandalore
- LEGO unveils a life-sized 400,000-piece Technic Lamborghini Sián FKP 37
- Introducing LEGO 21327 Ideas Typewriter, with all its working mechanical functions
- A masterstroke of design – LEGO Typewriter Designers Q&A (RLFM Days 2021)
- A new LEGO Collectible Minifigures Series is officially confirmed for September 2021
- LEGO Super Mario Character Packs Series 3 revealed – including a 1-Up Mushroom!
- It’s official: 2021 is the year of the LEGO brick-built object
- LEGO Star Wars History – Who is Jedi Bob?
- All the new LEGO Super Mario Summer 2021 sets revealed, including new multiplayer mode featuring Luigi!
- The LEGO Motorised Lighthouse will be the next LEGO Ideas set!
- LEGO unveils first prototype brick created from recycled plastic
- LEGO CON 2021 Live Blog
- Official photos of new LEGO The Mandalorian 2021 sets!
- LEGO CON 2021 Recap – the good, the meh and the lack of LEGO Star Wars news
- Travel LEGO Creationary Game available as VIP reward!
- Everything you need to know about LEGO’s recycled plastic prototype brick & sustainability efforts
- New LEGO Launches 1 July 2021 and Bricklink Designer Program opens tomorrow!
June 2021 LEGO Reviews
- Review: LEGO 76393 Harry Potter and Hermione Granger Buildable Minifigures – 1 June
- Review: LEGO 76187 Venom – 6 June
- Review: LEGO 31121 Creator 3-in-1 Crocodile (Guest Review) – 11 June
- Review: LEGO 10775 Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck’s Farm – 14 June
- Review: LEGO 10282 Adidas Superstar – 15 June
- Build a Minifigure Exclusives: Blue Pug Costume & Brown Bear Suit Guy – 20 June
- Review: LEGO 40468 Mini Adidas Superstar (gift with purchase) – 24 June
Interesting LEGO articles and videos from across the web you should check out
- #rainbowbuildchallenge – an initiative started by TrickyBricks
- Lego Isn’t Just for Kids. Here’s How to Become an Adult Lego Master. – New York Times. I was referenced here! *proud moment*
- Behind the Scenes | Building a Life-Size LEGO Technic Lamborghini Sián FKP 37 – LEGO Youtube
- LEGO Store: The Musical | A show-stopping original Broadway-style opening number – LEGO Youtube
- Nathan Sawaya Brick artist – For The Love of Brick Podcast
- Interview: Ekow Nimako’s Afrofuturistic Architecture – Brick Architect
- Bits N’ Bricks Season 2 Episode 25 – Myth, Maori, and a Brain Tumor: The BIONICLE Saga – Bits n Bricks LEGO Gaming Podcast
- LEGO Builder’s Journey: Ray Tracing Gameplay (RTX 3080) – IGN Youtube
- LEGO Super Mario | Team Up for 2-player Adventures – LEGO Youtube
- Things Are Getting Wild in LEGO City. [Hands on with 60301/60302] – Rambling Brick
- LEGO® DOTS REVIEW & MOCS: 41926 CREATIVE PARTY KIT – New Elementary
- NEW ELEMENTARY’S 8TH BIRTHDAY PARTY-FEST – New Elementary
- LEGO Minecraft Chest Tutorial – Tiago Catarino (Youtube)
- 1984 vs 2021 – LEGO Castle 6073 and 31120 – Racingbrick (Youtube)
Read June 2021 LEGO reviews
It’s been a busy month for reviews! In case you missed anything, check out all sets I’ve reviewed in June 2021 below!
If you enjoy my work, please feel free to Buy Me a Coffee!